Yesterday, we announced the Paranet Papers Instant PDF Preorder. In that announcement, we said:
We’ve since heard that some retailers don’t know what that means exactly, or that they don’t believe they’re allowed to do that with preorders. So we wanted to make it super-clear!
Any retailers that are a part of the Bits & Mortar program can provide the Paranet Papers PDF to any customer placing a paid preorder of the book, right now.
Ah! But perhaps you are not familiar with Bits & Mortar, or are not sure how to make this happen. Here’s how.
If you aren’t already a part of Bits & Mortar:
- Go to http://www.bits-and-mortar.com/how-do-i-join/ and follow the “I’m a retailer, how do I sign up?” instructions.
Basically, it breaks down like this:
- Sign up for an account at http://www.bits-and-mortar.com/retailers/ first;
- Then you’ll get an email asking you to confirm the email address you used;
- Then you’ll get a second message asking you to reply with details about your store (so they can confirm you’re a brick & mortar games retailer);
- Then they’ll approve you after reviewing that information, and you’ll be ready to go.
Once you do have a registered & approved Bits & Mortar account:
- Log in at http://www.bits-and-mortar.com/retailers/
- Search for the Paranet (here’s a shortcut if you’re already logged in)
- Type in the email address of your customer who placed the paid preorder in the box next to the book title, on the right
- Click the “send it” button
And you’re done! You’ve just sent your customer a copy of the PDF of the book they preordered from you, giving them instant access to the book while securing a sale of the physical book for your store.
Bottom line: At Evil Hat we’re interested in working together with retailers, not in competition with them, and extending the Instant PDF Preorder program to retail stores is a part of living up to that ideal. If you have any questions for us, please let us know!