Hey folks! Let’s talk about Fate’s supply levels in distribution — both Fate Core’s and Fate Accelerated Edition’s.
Here’s what we know:
- We have thousands upon thousands of copies of both titles at the main warehouse of the distributor where we floor the majority of our stuff.
- Unfortunately, other warehouses have not stayed well-stocked with the titles.
- Other distributors have not ordered heavily. To an extent we totally get this: in distribution it often doesn’t pay to assume more risk. The minimums are typically what’s ordered. That said, it also means that opportunities get missed because stock on popular titles run out quickly.
The bottom line is that despite us having thousands of copies available for purchase right now, the general experience retail stores are getting when ordering our stuff is that the supply sucks. I mean, heck: we have fans selling their personal copies of Core and FAE to others at conventions due to this (seeing this coming is why Fate Accelerated has some bulk discounts available on our webstore).
All this is, not to put too fine a point on it, because the powers that be have underestimated our game. We haven’t underestimated our game — that’s why we have thousands of copies — but we’re not in the driver’s seat.
So now we’re going to do a few things to try to take control of the wheel. Today, that means we’re going to:
- Replace Scott’s copies, because that was awesome.
- We’re going to start “flooring” our stuff with more than one distributor. For those of you not familiar with the term, this means we’re going to send a bunch of our stuff to 3 warehouse locations with another distributor before they sell it, and they’ll pay us after they do sell it. Our stuff, owned by us, will sit on their floor waiting to be sold: thus “flooring.” This means that we assume some of that risk that distributors are rightly averse to; in exchange this puts them in a stronger position to supply our stuff to game stores without a rapid-run-out effect happening. Net result: stores can find our stuff in stock, order it, and put it on their shelves, more easily and more frequently—and thus we see stronger total sales in the long term.
This is part of an ongoing process for us as we look to beef up our business relationships and get more Fate out to more stores everywhere. If you have a store you’d like to get stocked with Fate, please share this post with them on your smartphone the next time you visit! And if you or they have any questions, please contact us here on the site or by email at email@example.com. Thanks!